- “Hell's Kitchen is my neighborhood. I prowl the rooftops and alleyways at night, watching from the darkness. Forever in darkness. A guardian devil.”
- ―DaredevilDaredevil (film)
Daredevil is a 2003 American superhero film written and directed by Mark Steven Johnson. Based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, the film stars Ben Affleck as Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer who fights for justice in the courtroom and out of the courtroom as the masked vigilante Daredevil. Jennifer Garner plays his love interest Elektra Natchios; Colin Farrell plays the merciless assassin Bullseye; David Keith plays Jack "The Devil" Murdock, a washed up fighter who is Matt's father; and Michael Clarke Duncan plays Wilson Fisk, also known as the crime lord Kingpin.
The film began development in 1997 at 20th Century Fox and Columbia Pictures, before New Regency acquired the rights in 2000. Johnson chose to shoot the film primarily in Downtown Los Angeles despite the Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan setting of the film and the comics. Rhythm and Hues Studios were hired to handle the film's CGI needs. Graeme Revell composed the Daredevil score which was released on CD in March 2003, whereas the various artists soundtrack album, Daredevil: The Album, was released in February.
Reviews of the film were generally mixed or average. Despite this, the film still enjoyed a profitable theatrical run and became February's second biggest release. The film was successful enough to allow a spin-off film, Elektra, which was released in 2005. In 2004, an R-rated director's cut of Daredevil was released, incorporating approximately thirty minutes back into the film, including an entire sub-plot involving a character played by Coolio. The director's cut was intended as an improvement over the theatrical version.
- Ben Affleck as Daredevil/Matt Murdock
- Scott Terra as Young Matt Murdock
- Jennifer Garner as Elektra
- Colin Farwell as Bullseye
- Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin/Wilson Fisk
- Jon Favreau as Foggy Nelson
- Joe Pantoliano as Ben Urich
- David Keith as Jack Murdock
- Leland Orser as Wesley Owen Welch
- Lennie Loftin as Detective Nick Manolis
- Erick Avari as Nikolas Natchios
- Ellen Pompeo as Karen Page
- Derrick O'Connor as Father Everest